Brown Butter Sage Mamu Gnocchi
2 cups / 400 grams Butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped (½- to ¾-inch pieces)
2 Tablespoon / 28 grams Vegan butter, unsalted
Mamu gnocchi, blanched
6 to 8 leaves / 2 to 4 grams Sage
2 to 3 Tablespoons / 30 to 45 grams Lemon juice
½ cup / 60 grams Plant-based cooking cream or heavy cream
½ cup / 113 grams Pesto
½ cup / 50 grams Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup / 150 grams Cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup / 70 grams Pine nuts, toasted
Salt to taste
½ cup / 75 grams Breadcrumbs, toasted
- Blanch or steam butternut squash until tender throughout when pierced with a paring knife then, using a slotted spoon, transfer squash to a sheet pan to cool. Set it aside.
- Heat a frying pan on medium high heat, add the butter. Cook, stirring and swirling pan often, until butter darkens to a toasty brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 8 minutes. Add in gnocchi and cook until seared.
- Add sage and cook for a few seconds, then add butternut squash and cook until heated through. Add lemon juice and gently stir, scraping up browned butter solids from pan.
- Add heavy cream, pesto, and parmesan. Cook, stirring periodically, until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat at this point and add cherry tomatoes and pine nuts.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately with breadcrumbs sprinkled on top.