Mamu Shepherd’s Pie
2 pounds / 908 grams Russet Potato, peeled, quartered
½ cup / 113 grams Vegan Butter
½ cup / 45 grams Oat milk
¼ cup / 8 grams Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
4 Tablespoons / 56 grams Neutral oil
2 pounds / 908 grams Mamu
2 Tablespoons / 17 grams Garlic, minced
1 cup / 150 grams Onion, ¼-inch dice
1 cup / 145 grams Carrot, ¼-inch dice
1 cup / 140 grams Peas, frozen
1 cup / 180 grams Corn, frozen
2 Tablespoons / 28 grams Tomato paste
2 teaspoons / 2 grams Rosemary, minced
2 teaspoons / 2 grams Thyme, minced
1 cup / 245 grams Red wine
2 Tablespoons / 15 grams Cornstarch
2 cups / 480 grams Vegetable Stock
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Sugar to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Boil or steam potatoes until completely tender. Mash potatoes with vegan butter, oat milk, and nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese. Season with salt. Set aside, covered.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, add Mamu and break into small pieces with a spoon or spatula.
- Once Mamu is broken up and browned, add in garlic and cook for a minute. Then add in onions and carrots. Cook until they start to soften.
- Add in peas and corn, cook for a minute. Add tomato paste and herbs and cook for another minute.
- Add red wine, and cook until the liquid has almost evaporated. Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water to create a slurry. Add vegetable stock and cornstarch slurry to pan, and cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened. Turn off heat. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Using a deep baking dish place the Mamu filling on the bottom of the pan, then add the potatoes on top in an even layer covering the filling. Lightly scrape the top with the tip of a fork to create lines going across in one direction.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) on an instant read thermometer, and the potatoes are starting to brown.