Mamu Sopa de Albóndigas
2 egg equivalent / 22 grams Egg replacer
4 Tablespoons / 60 grams Water
½ cup / 105 grams Long grain white rice (uncooked)
1½ pounds / 680 grams Mamu
2 each / 220 grams Small green zucchini, grated
½ teaspoon / .5 grams Dried oregano
4 sprigs / 4 grams Mint, chopped
½ teaspoon / .6 grams Ground Cumin
2 cloves / 4 grams Garlic, minced
1/3 onion / 80 grams Onion, diced
2 Tablespoons / 40 grams Neutral oil
1 cup / 360 grams Tomato passata or puree
6 cups / 1500 grams Broth
Potatoes, diced (optional)
Carrots, diced (optional)
Chayote, diced (optional)
1. Hydrate egg replacer with water for 2 minutes or according to package instructions.
2. Add rice, Mamu, zucchini, oregano, mint, cumin, and ¼ of the onion to bowl with egg replacer. Mix well. Form the Mamu mixture into about 1 oz. (28 gram) balls.
3. Heat the oil in a pot over medium. Add remaining onion and cook, stirring, until translucent. Add the tomato passata or puree, bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the broth to the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
5. Add the Mamu balls into the pot and cover. Simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add additional broth if the consistency seems too thick.
6. If you like, add potatoes, carrots, and chayote to the simmering broth and cook until tender to create a finished soup.
7. Serve albondigas in a bowl with plenty of broth.